What is a Cyber Attack?
A cyber attack is generally defined as the exploitation of a computer network, especially those which rely heavily on technology for their daily operations. Malicious codes are used to alter computer codes and data, which compromises them leading to cyber crimes like information and identity theft.
Companies, big and small, have been investing on ways on how to better protect their computer networks. But what about ordinary individuals like yourself? Many of us, rely on computers, whether for simple socialization or more importantly, for our means of living. These activities are all exposed to possible cyber attacks. Thus, it’s extremely important to educate one’s self in the potential dangers you’re faced with it, and learn how best to counter them with the right tool.
What are the Adverse Effects of a Cyber Attack?
There are a number of reasons why you want to avoid a cyber attack if you can prevent it. It will make your life more difficult for a variety of reasons. Some of the common difficulties that result from a cyber attack include:
1. Identity theft or extortion – social sites, such as Facebook, has a feature that tells others of your location or where your pictures were taken. While this may be innocent or fun to your friends, cyber criminals will somehow find something relevant from this information which can fuel them to extort you or your circle of friends.
2. Being banned from online services or websites – this means you cannot access anymore those sites that you visit regularly before, you’ll start wondering why. After all, there’s no way to tell when you’ve been hit with a cyber attack.
3. Website defacement and pharming – changes will be made to your page or site, or worse is the redirection to another bogus site, that will likely draw a negative reaction from your followers. For businesses, the effect could be worse as customers might think that the site no longer exists.
4. High-profile cyber crimes – malware, phishing, spamming and viruses
How can virtual private network service or VPN prevent cyber attack?
VPN to the Rescue
To successfully protect yourself from cyber attack, it is a must to use powerful online protection tools. Meaning, your regular anti-virus and firewall will be relatively useless in the face of a cyber attack. While these traditional tools protect data contained in your computer, the files you send across the net are vulnerable to other types of attack. These is where the role of VPN comes in.
1. It provides an encrypted virtual path where data and files can be transported across the net. This means hackers will have no way of knowing that you are actually transporting information, thus preventing your files from being copied.
2. It uses an IP masking protocol that prevents anyone from tracking any of your online activities. This keeps your online transactions obscured from the view of hackers.
And here’s the bonus, with VPN you will gain unlimited access in otherwise restricted sites in your area or office. It allows you to get through all the security and firewall protections around your place.
With the continuous growth of the number of computer and mobile technology users around the world, the internet will continue to be a hacker’s stage. As the technology develops, so are the methods used in cyber attacks. So, the need for absolute protection becomes a necessity. Remember, prevention is always better than cure.